This will be the space all year for my initial reaction to OSU games. Probably overly emotional, definitely a little dramatic. I’ll have a full write-up for you in the morning but for now here are ten thoughts:
1. Every player on the field looked like he was #88. I didn’t HATE the gray unis but I didn’t love them either and I had no clue who anyone was. I thought four different dudes had OSU’s first pick. As Q pointed out though, the gray tops will look a lot better with orange or black pants.
2. Student section – you don’t know how lucky you are to root this team on. Don’t leave in the 2nd quarter the rest of the year. That’s embarrassing.
3. Joseph Randle looked like 2x bigger than he was last year. He ran like a freight train tonight.
4. Weeden threw for the 8th or 9th most yards (we don’t have an official number yet) in school history. Didn’t really feel like it, did it?
5. The intro video was horrendous. They showed six total highlights from last year. Six. And one was Blackmon running through the end zone. Not acceptable.
7. Michael Harrison had the catch of the game in the 4th tonight. I think he’s the second most talented WR on this team. Weeden is going to make him great.
8. The 1st team D basically gave up 6 points. Weeden gave up 14 on two pick-6s and the 2nd teamers gave up the rest. The score doesn’t reflect it but Bill Young’s unit played really well. Weeden owes all of them a round of golf for making them look bad.
9. The secondary looked incredible. Devin Hedgepeth has to be the most improved player on this team.
10. This didn’t feel like a top 10 team tonight. I’m not saying they aren’t, just that the crowd combined with 3 picks combined with a somewhat sluggish offense didn’t exactly scream you better book those hotel rooms in New Orleans, baby!”
11. (bonus) The school record for points in a game is 70. OSU put up 61 tonight. And nobody’s happy about it. That should tell you something.
More to come in the morning. You guys be safe tonight, thanks to everyone who stopped by the tailgate, enjoyed meeting y’all!