Good morning – with Vanderbilt taking out Michigan last night, that (should) conclude the 2018-2019 college sports season officially.
• Boynton filling up his bench
• Gundy ranked against Big 12 coaches
• Knowles got to come out of his shell
• Mike Boynton filled one of his two vacant spots on the roster yesterday with a 2019 recruit, let’s take a look.
(Hidde) Roessink is a 6-foot-10 stretch forward from Arnhem in The Netherlands. He isn’t on social media and with him playing in The Netherlands, film is a rarity on him, but per OSU’s release, he “is viewed by the Cowboy coaches as a versatile stretch forward with a high basketball IQ and an elite shooting ability from the perimeter.” [PFB]
I’m still crossing my fingers for the UNT point guard transfer for some guard depth but after Yor Anei and playing McGriff at the 4, there’s not “play now” depth at the forward spots.
Having another body on the depth chart to help hedge against the bigger Boone twin from developing this year seems like a good idea.
The Netherlands ✈️ Stillwater
— Cowboy Basketball (@OSUMBB) June 26, 2019
• It’s always fun to talk about where Mike Gundy sits in relation to his Big 12 peers.
In Athlon Sports’ Big 12 Coach Rankings, the Cowboys’ head coach is listed at No. 3, just ahead of Tom Herman (No. 4) at Texas and just behind Oklahoma’s Lincoln Riley (No. 2).
Here’s why: Oklahoma State’s streak of consecutive (three) 10-win seasons was snapped in 2018 after a 7-6 mark, but Gundy’s track record suggests the dip in victories won’t last long at his alma mater. [Athlon Sports]
When you reflect on that 6.5 win number Vegas is handing out, there’s an awful lot of precedent set for Gundy to break that number. The only thing that makes me hesitant is not having a confirmed advantage at quarterback.
• This is super interesting – apparently, Jim Knowles got to come out of his shell and call plays pretty aggressively when he was brought to Stillwater.
Jim Knowles, who got more aggressive once freed up under Mike Gundy rather than working for the more conservative David Cutcliffe. The Cowboys got really zone-blitz happy a year ago, bringing the full gamut of overloads and simulated pressures that everyone loves as well as some other tricks, and finished tied for 10th nationally with 39 sacks. [Concerning Sports]
If Knowles improves this year, I’ll be surprised. He deserves grace acclimating to the Big 12 but it’s hard to imagine he’ll be more effective with a much younger, more raw front-six.
• NCAA appears to be doing some pretty strong backtracking on immediate eligibility for transfers.
• This is an impressive showing for the Pokes – basically saying they won more than recruiting rankings say they should.
Comparing Recruiting Rankings (2010-2018) to Wins (2014-2018)
Worst win conversion in Power 5:
#62 S. Carolina
#3 Kansas State
#8 OK State
— Pick Six Previews (@PickSixPreviews) June 25, 2019
• What happens after Amazon’s domination is complete?
• Interesting to see how much the predicted champion won the title in pro sports
• A heavy read but worth pointing out how my generation (Millennials) will process a midlife crisis