At the request of reader Matt Holland (we take requests!), I compiled the last time every Big 12 team has won 10 games, won 12 games, won a conference title and had a 0-win season. I sorted them by most recent 10-win season.
Here’s a look.
|Team||Conf. Title||12 Wins||10 Wins||Losing Sea.||0 Wins|
Some thoughts. Also a note: I only counted Big 12 titles. I didn’t go back and sort through the SWC or Big 8 or Sky West or whatever other conferences existed in the 30s and 40s.
• Iowa State is the only team that has never won 10 games in a year. I honestly feel bad for Iowa State fans that they’ve never gotten to experience the thrill of a 10-win year. Not that bad because, you know, 2011, but still kind of bad.
• Every team in the conference has had a losing season since 2013 except for Oklahoma (1998) and Oklahoma State (2005). Bring me more of your Gundy hate.
• Having a 12-win season is nearly impossible. Oklahoma State has 1, Kansas has 1, Texas has 3, TCU has 4 and Oklahoma has … 7. It also surprised me that Baylor never won 12 games under Art Briles. It felt like they were churning out 12-W years.
• Iowa State, Kansas and Oklahoma State have the most recent 0-win seasons. Yikes.
• Apropos of nothing really, here’s a look at what the BCS era would have looked like if there was a playoff. A lot of Big 12 schools you see above would have been involved.
How the Playoff would have looked during the BCS Era (1998-2013) pic.twitter.com/UNLtCgCj3N
— Pick Six Previews (@PickSixPreviews) December 3, 2017