Connect with us

Football

Brock Martin Announces He’ll Return to OSU for 2022

The senior edge rusher will make use of the COVID-19 extended eligibility.

Published

on

[Devin Wilber/PFB]

One of the biggest strengths of Oklahoma State’s Big 12 Championship caliber 2021 defense is its abundance of experienced depth, and it looks like that will continue to be a strength for the Cowboys in 2022.

On Monday, redshirt senior defensive end Brock Martin announced that he would be taking advantage of the NCAA’s COVID-19 eligibility waiver and returning for his sixth season in Stillwater.

If this news sounds familiar it’s because, during his post-Texas press conference, Mike Gundy said that Martin would return in 2022 to pursue a Masters degree, but Martin had yet to confirm.

As of Monday, it’s official. And it’s a big deal for OSU.

Martin has been a integral part of a defensive front that leads the nation in sacks and tackles for loss. He’s T-2nd on the team with six sacks, his 10.5 TFLs ranks third and he’s third on the team with six QB hurries. Martin leads all Cowboy D-linemen with 34 total tackles on the year while playing in 11 games.

Based on what Mike Gundy said earlier on Monday, it’s safe to assume that Martin’s will be the first of many such announcements that set up a stacked defense to try and run it back in 2022.

This announcement means that OSU is set to be even more stacked with depth and talent at the end position in 2022. OSU’s sack leader Collin Oliver is only a true freshman and Tyler Lacy is a redshirt junior. And don’t forget last year’s All-Big 12 Honorable Mention Trace Ford and Arkansas transfer Collin Clay who each missed 2021 due injury.

Most Read