Happy Father’s Day to all relevant parties – I know this day can be hard for some so for those of us (me included) who have a good dad to celebrate, let’s not take it for granted.
• Gundy on coaching in the NFL
• Gundy’s security
• Hovland and Co. at Pebble
• Mike Gundy talks about what he doesn’t and wouldn’t like about coaching in the NFL.
“I just don’t know, the culture part of what the team does is so important to me,” Gundy said. “I read about guys not showing up for practice and stuff, OTAs (organized team activities), all that stuff, and I don’t know if I could deal with that. I’d have a problem with things like that, so I would lean toward no at this time.
“So if I was ever to decide to do it, I would probably be too old for it. It’s something that’s intriguing, but I’m really driven here now with kind of what’s going on. Go back to the seven-win season and all that.” [NewsOK]
• Speaking of Gundy and sticking around, what is Mike Gundy’s job security compared to his conference peers?
Mike Gundy (Oklahoma State)
The mullet has flirted with other gigs in the past but has chosen to remain at his alma mater, where he has seemingly turned into a coach for life with the Cowboys. Though fans gripe about his record against the rival Sooners and the recent dip in play, he’s still made OSU extremely competitive each season despite being in one of the league’s outposts and consistently has a pretty fun offense to watch. Tensions with the athletic department (and boosters) have seemingly smoothed over recently too. [NBC Sports]
• Viktor Hovland is the high Poke on the U.S. Open leaderboard with a score of even par going into Sunday. He’s shown he has every right to play at the level as well.
Hovland played alongside major winners Brooks Koepka and Francesco Molinari in the first two rounds and carded a 2-over 73 on Friday to stand at even-par 142 for the tournament. He’s currently (as of Friday) tied with Duke’s Chandler Eaton for low-amateur honors. [Golfweek]
While Hovland was tied with Eaton on Friday, he’s now two back from Brandon Wu for low amateur.
• This is top-shelf stuff – maybe the most impressive corn hole board out there.
— Jeff Fletcher (@bbCoachFletcher) June 16, 2019
• Fun Father’s Day story where the Hogs landed the head coach’s son
• Finished this somber read yesterday about a dad/pastor who goes through some tough times
• It’s your response to your failures that defines you